Re: [xavier.leroy@inria.fr: Re: [Caml-list] Copyright Clarifications]

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:35:53AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > Well, response from Xavier, i don't see any quick solution, but the fact
> > that the rights are at HP may be a good thing. Let's ask Bdale about
> > this :))
> >
> > Splitting bignum out of ocaml is not nice, lot of work, and i don't feel
> > upto it, not in the short time that is.
>
> You don't need to split it: just remove it entirely and add a comment
> in README.Debian.

We have to remove it from the source also :(((

> Keeping this code is a serious policy violation and unless we get a
> relicensing, we shall not distribute it at all.

There is no problem on shipping this asa non-free library, at least it
is not worst than other non-free libraries, i think, but let us see what
Bdale answers to me, and if there is no way to solve this issue in a
more satisfactory way than removing code.

So, for now, it is business as usual, and unless someone packages code
that uses bignum, there should be no influence at all. I will follow up
on this, don't worry. Indeed i already have had feedback from Xavier
about additional info on this issue i asked him, and i guess the issue
will clarify before we are ready to enter sarge.