Re: [xavier.leroy@inria.fr: [Caml-list] Objective Caml 3.07 final release]

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 02:58:39PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Ocaml 3.07 is out, what about debian packages.

Err, i just arrived back from oldenburg, i can hardly do packages and
drive at the same time (especialy at the 185Kmh i was doing this
morning, i love german highways). The packages should be trivial to
build, but i will not upload them before tomorrow, to not stop ocaml
3.06-21 to enter testing. If 3.06-21 is not in testing tomorrow, we will
forget about it, and use 3.06-17sarge1 instead.

I will upload the packages to my private repostory today though, so
everyone can already start building for it.

> One of the Sven's reported deadlines was tomorrow to have it in the next
> stable release, I'm almost sure that we will miss that deadline :-)

No, we will not, well, i will not, but that is not so much of a problem,
but i would ask from you all some quick attention and packaging effort
this coming week, so that ...

> What about the next one? IIRC it was 15th october, but at which
> conditions?

... we can have everything ready by the october 15th deadline. Actually,
the idea was october 1 : start of deadline, october 15 end of deadline
or something such and aj told me it is ultimately our call to say which
version of ocaml we can have ready for sarge release. I believe, as we
are able to handle this in less than a week, as we did with the ocaml
libdir transition.

> BTW, campl4 shipped with 3.07 has a really annoying bug regarding
> functions with optional arguments. I would like to avoid shipping an

Mmm, Xavier had told me that he had hopped to have it fixed for the
release, or maybe it was another issue. What does this bug affect, does
it break other packages or is it mostly transparent ?

I suppose that this does not affect binary compatibility, but it would
be nice to be sure about this. I will ask Xavier or Pierre about it. If
it doesn't break binary compatibility, we can go ahead with the release
plan, and apply the fix and rebuild ocaml once it is fixed. Maybe you
can fix an RC bug against 3.07 once i upload it.

> ocaml 3.07 package with that bug. We can wait for a patch (apparently
> Pierre Weiss is working on it) or do-it-by-ourseleves since the last
> packaged version (beta2) has no such a bug. We can just look at the
> differences, volunteers? :)

I definitively will not have the time for it, but if you feel like it,
please go ahead.

Anyway, i will upload tomorrow, but next monday i hope everyone will
have uploaded their respective packages (there may be new upstream
releases and such), and we then have more or less 2 month to fix any
breakage that may happen, fix the minor bugs in the different packages,
and provide for a quality ocaml 3.07 release for december 1 (which may
probably slip, but we should not count on this).