Re: ocaml 3.07beta2 is up at people.debian.org/~luther/ocaml

Quoting Sven Luther (sven.luther@wanadoo.fr):

> > > W: ocaml source: newer-standards-version 3.6.0
> >
> > lintian needs update. BTW, you can now use 3.6.1 as long as you use
> > debconf for user input during package installation.
>
> I don't do any user input thingy anymore, so i guess it is ok, wheter i
> use debconf or not.

It is. The "should" about debconf use for user input is the only non
trivial thing that changed.

> > > W: ocaml source: outdated-autotools-helper-file config/gnu/config.guess 2001-06-25
> > > W: ocaml source: outdated-autotools-helper-file config/gnu/config.sub 2001-06-08
> >
> > Maybe you can consider using in debian/rules a system for
> > automagically replace upstream-provided config.{guess|sub} files by
> > more up-to-date ones which come with autotools-dev.
>
> I don't like this, it messes up the .diff.gz file with lot of useless
> config* stuff. What is the best way to handling this ?

Having upstream update their files more often, maybe .. :-)

As far as I have understood, having up-to-date files is important for
porting issues, mostly on exotic architectures. I learned about this
when I got FTBFS'ed because one of my package did not build anymore on
ARM, IA64 or whatever.....