Re: APT has been fixed

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:42:04AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:
>

> > > Thanks Sven :-) We won a battle.
> >
> > But This does not solve the autobuilder problems, but let us just ignore
> > them for now, since ocaml is already added to the override file for
> > those.
>
> What problem?

The auto builders need to know, when presented with a virtual package,
which package to choose or something such. They are not prepared to cope
with virtual packages provided by only one real package, which is why a
manual edited configuration files which maps the virtual packages to the
real ones to choose is used.

I had a discussion with Bdale Garbee, while sitting at the same table as James
Troup, and we agreed that the usage of a virtual package for giving a
package's ABI was a valid one, a bit in the same way that perl has a
virtual package giving its API. So the problem, if there is one, is on
the part of the autobuilder software, not of us, so i guess there is no
problem in just ignoring this, and let the autobuilder maintainers
handle the override file, at least for ocaml. After all, there is just
one such change needed once per year, when a new ocaml is released.