Re: About this ocaml versioning stuff

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:33:20AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Selon Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > That said, i hve no problem in keeping the ocaml packages as they where,
> > it is lesswork for us, and has worked well. It has been proved  that we
> > can handle suvch transitions fastly.
>
> I'm pleased to hear that :-)

Ok, i can do this way then, i would like to hear from Stefano first
though.

> > Also, to not let the suffix work i did get lost, i could release cvs
> > snapshot packagesusing this  technics, and we can delay the move to it
> > to the next release.
>
> I think it should be discussed upstream first.

It would be nice if snapshot libraries were also packaged using said
ocaml cvs snapshots. This would stress test the whole thing, and give us
good experience about how to handle this.

> > I am still waiting for a apt/dpkg patch to fix the virtual packages
> > problem from Jerome :))))))
>
> :) I can try to fix problems but I don't know what they are ;-)

There is the source, and the exact problem is the one reported by
Laurent Bonnaud. apt-get build-dep bibtex2html does not find the
ocaml-3.06-1 package, and does not know about virtual packages.

I think the right solution is to make ocaml-3.07 a real package (maybe
provided by the ocaml source package) and have it provide the ocaml
package. This way it would be transparent for users, which do an apt-get
install only, and since nobody should use ocaml as build dependencies,
it should not be much of a problem. Mmm, i like this, it seems nice,
altough i guess using ocaml as build dependencies would also have been
usefull, but could create dangers for the autobuilders when the new
ocaml is not yet ready. Anyway, it would still be nice to have apt fixed
for this.

Opinions on that are welcome.