Re: ocaml 3.06 and tcl/tk 8.4 ...

Hello, ...

It has been nice to meet you all yesterday.

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:45:42AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 01:11:33PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Or i could wait for ocaml 3.07 to do this.
> > What would be your opinion on this ?
>
> I think is better to fix the problem with ocaml 3.06. Release dates are
> not certain at all.

Well, but it is one of those out of our hands, waiting for things.

> > I will probably not have time for doing a true multiple parallel
> > installable ocaml-3.07, and i believe that this needs changes to the
> > ocaml install that needs to be discussed upstream (changing the ocamlrun
> > name to be ocamlrun-<version> in the ocaml bytecode programs), but have
>
> Is really not possible to handle this stuff only from the debian side?
> For all programs that rely on /usr/bin/ocamlrun we can use a symlink to
> /usr/bin/ocamlrun-3.07 (as we have already discussed IIRC).

Yes, i believe we can do that, after all, depending on
/usr/bin/ocamlrun-3.07 is not worse than using /usr/bin/ocamlrun instead
of /usr/local/bin/ocamlrun.

> I think it is important to try to handle this parallel installation. If
> you have not enough time to work on it we can try to share the efforts

Well, i will try to add a new config option (-suffix ?) and have all the
executables name completed with this suffix. The problem is that i am
afraid to miss one or two of the internal usage of the executables (like
ocamlc using /usr/bin/ocamlrun and such). But we can sort this out
little by little. Once that is done, there will be not much more work to
do. I will try to look at it on sunday, using the current CVS version as
a future ocaml-3.07 package, but as i will be going both to linuxtag and
to debcamp/debconf, i am not sure i will be having much time for it.
before then, altough i may work on it at debcamp too.

> Regarding gdbm is probably that a solution will be found, just because it
> block too many packages. But actually we don't know how many problems

There will be at least one more month of blocked situation, i guess most
of those packages would only need a recompile, but then, you never know.

> can encounter the new ocaml 3.07 package. This is another reason to try
> to keep both the old 3.06 package and the new 3.07.

My idea was that 3.06 would be in testing, and that we keep 3.07 in
unstable, even if it breaks a bit, people really needing a stable ocaml
could always fallback to the testing version.