Re: ocaml 3.06 and tcl/tk 8.4 ...

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 01:11:33PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Upto now, it was not possible to build ocaml 3.06 with tcl/tk 8.4, but i
> have seen a patch for building it with tcl/tk 8.4 on the caml-list
> recently.
>
> So, there is the possibility that i do a new upload of ocaml with tcl/tk
> 8.4, and also rebuild lablgl, and other tcl/tk using libraries/apps
> (there are not so much of them, i think).
>
> Or i could wait for ocaml 3.07 to do this.
>
> What would be your opinion on this ?
>
> Also, ocaml 3.07 will be released probably in the next month or so, and
> anyway well in time for the sarge release (for which a 6 until freeze and
> 6 month freeze time have been predicted).
>
> I hope to build 3.07 packages from the cvs version (with version number
> 3.06+cvs<date>, and providing ocaml-3.07) and upload them to
> experimental for everyone to test.
>
> One problem we will be having, is the new gdbm dependency, which is
> stopping ocaml 3.06-17 to enter testing, and will make it dissapear as
> soon as i upload 3.07-1. gdbm breaks over 1000 packages, so there is not
> much i can do. I did this change at the request of James Troup who is
> the gdbm maintainer.
>
> But many bug fixes went into 3.06-17, which cannot go into sarge. I will
> thus try to upload a 3.06-16.sarge.1 or whatever into
> testing-proposed-update, to fix those bugs, and will continue to do
> bugfixes this way, until the gdbm problem is fixed.
>
> ocaml-3.07 will be using the new gdbm approach, and tcl/tk 8.4, so it
> will probably be blocked until the gdbm issue is solved, which should
> let us more time to properly test it anyway.
>
> I will probably not have time for doing a true multiple parallel
> installable ocaml-3.07, and i believe that this needs changes to the
> ocaml install that needs to be discussed upstream (changing the ocamlrun
> name to be ocamlrun-<version> in the ocaml bytecode programs), but have
> not have had feedback on this from either Xavier or Pierre, who i
> approched with this. But then, they are busy with the preparation of the
> ocaml 3.07 release.
>
> Do anyone have any comment on this ? Anyway, i will see most of you on
> the FirstJeudi meeting :)))
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

Hello,

Well, i don't know if i am permit to say anything... But i will do it.

To my mind, labltk* is not a really grave issue, since there is a lot of
packages who still depends on it. I think it is more clever to wait for
3.07 release. Patching the source is never the best way to do things (
but i use it ), it is heavy and not so compatible ( especially if you
patch many times ).

Concerning Sarge -16.sarge release i think it is also a good solution.

And finally : the versionned install, i think it is an upstream things (
which could ****really**** be made soon ). Keeping the actuall /3.06/ is
a good way to keep us safe from a soon to come changes ( even if they
don't reply, i think it is a two lines hack... wait and see ).

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL ( Non Maintainer )