ocaml 3.06 and tcl/tk 8.4 ...

Hello,

Upto now, it was not possible to build ocaml 3.06 with tcl/tk 8.4, but i
have seen a patch for building it with tcl/tk 8.4 on the caml-list
recently.

So, there is the possibility that i do a new upload of ocaml with tcl/tk
8.4, and also rebuild lablgl, and other tcl/tk using libraries/apps
(there are not so much of them, i think).

Or i could wait for ocaml 3.07 to do this.

What would be your opinion on this ?

Also, ocaml 3.07 will be released probably in the next month or so, and
anyway well in time for the sarge release (for which a 6 until freeze and
6 month freeze time have been predicted).

I hope to build 3.07 packages from the cvs version (with version number
3.06+cvs<date>, and providing ocaml-3.07) and upload them to
experimental for everyone to test.

One problem we will be having, is the new gdbm dependency, which is
stopping ocaml 3.06-17 to enter testing, and will make it dissapear as
soon as i upload 3.07-1. gdbm breaks over 1000 packages, so there is not
much i can do. I did this change at the request of James Troup who is
the gdbm maintainer.

But many bug fixes went into 3.06-17, which cannot go into sarge. I will
thus try to upload a 3.06-16.sarge.1 or whatever into
testing-proposed-update, to fix those bugs, and will continue to do
bugfixes this way, until the gdbm problem is fixed.

ocaml-3.07 will be using the new gdbm approach, and tcl/tk 8.4, so it
will probably be blocked until the gdbm issue is solved, which should
let us more time to properly test it anyway.

I will probably not have time for doing a true multiple parallel
installable ocaml-3.07, and i believe that this needs changes to the
ocaml install that needs to be discussed upstream (changing the ocamlrun
name to be ocamlrun-<version> in the ocaml bytecode programs), but have
not have had feedback on this from either Xavier or Pierre, who i
approched with this. But then, they are busy with the preparation of the
ocaml 3.07 release.

Do anyone have any comment on this ? Anyway, i will see most of you on
the FirstJeudi meeting :)))