Re: Upstream CVS or Debian repository?

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 10:13:49AM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
>   My question is: is it better to manage the debian directory upstream
>   or is it better to manage it elsewere by duplicating it in
>   Alioth. The advantage of the former is that you can collaborate with
>   upstream better. The advantage of the later is that it is easier to
>   rebuild the whole package since HEAD contains only a stable version.

For packages maintained by a single "real" maintainer (i.e. not under
the upcoming umbrella) IMO is better to have debian directory in the
upstream CVS for the reason you mentioned.

For packages maintained cooperatively is better to have it on Alioth
just because I doubt we can manage to have accounts for all the involved
maintainers (even if the are 3 or 4 ...).

Stefano Zacchiroli  --  Master in Computer Science @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it}  -  http://www.bononia.it/zack/
"  I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!  " -- G.Romney