Re: Debian OCaml Task Force

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:55:32AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 06:49:05AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Do you think we would need a separate alioth project for each package,
> > or one big umbrella project, where all the ocaml debian maintainers have
> > an account and where each package would be hold in CVS ?
>
> Good point: I think that Jerome was thinking about one project for each
> package.
>
> Anyway I was just thinking, yesterday as an umbrella project that can
> fill the gap between available ocaml software and available ocaml
> software debian packaged.
>
> I mean: ok, we probably haven't enough team to package additional
> software, but we probably should share the effort. So I was thinking at
> a project under which one of us can decide to package one additional
> ocaml library and upload it with a maintainer field of "Debian OCaml
> Task Force" or something like that. I'm almost sure to have seem
> something similar for other packages.

Yes, and bug reports would be send to the debian-ocaml-maint mailing
list, or to a more limited mailing list created in the alioth project
maybe ?

> Those packages wont probably be alway up-to-date, but everyone of us can
> take one of the out of date and update it?

The main 'cost' of ocaml package maintaining is mostly in the initial
packaging. After that come new upstream releases and/or new ocaml
upstream releases that need rebuilds. A new upstream release is only
problematic if the build system is bad, as is often the case for ocaml
packages, and that upstream doesn't want to fold our changes back in the
upstream package. Bug fixes are mostly cheap, but it would depend on the
packages.

Also, the fact that we use alioth would help non-maintainers to
participate a bit, even if one of the debian maintainers has to sign the
package before uploading.

It may also be a place for other ocaml related stuff or such, especially
if/when a ocaml mingw32 cross compiler will happen.

> I haven't yet thought about practical realization, but the idea seems to
> me intresting ... Comments?

It is a nice idea, but i personnaly have no time to handle the
administrative stuff, as my limited time is devoted to the ocaml
package, the mingw32 cross compilations issues and a caml-light package
Pierre asked me to do for the 'classe prepa' students.

And there will be a 3.06 -> 3.07 transition coming soon, in the two next
month or so.