Re: status update?

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 06:57:21PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:06:53PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > > ocaml-3.06.tar.gz => ocaml-3.06_3.06.orig.tar.gz => apt-get source ocaml-3.06
> > Yes, this is confusing for users.
>
> Just my 0.02 EUR on this issue:
> - I agree with the idea of having multiple ocaml version installed at
>   the same time
>   - BUT we have not enough DD power to handle libraries for all
>     available ocaml version as python guys does
>     - SO we have to use this idea only during transition phases (i.e. as
>       soon as a new ocaml release comes out or similar). Anyway we have

Yes, this was my intentions at first. Also in this case is it not really
as important to both ocaml's installable at the same time. I have looked
a bit at adding a suffix to the ocaml executables, trying to reuse the
EXE define, but it does not work easily.

>       obviously to talk more about this (e.g. what about library names?
>       do you like to embed ocaml version in them as python guys do?;
>       what about old libraries? are we going to remove them as soon as
>       new ocaml version reach a stable state? ecc ecc ecc PLEASE don't
>       start discussing this issuse on _this_ thread!, we are talking
>       about something else here. New threads on the subject are
>       obviously welcome)

Yes, it needs more discussion.

> - Choosing this schema need a transition phase; transition phase that
>   could start with the ocaml-3.06 package upload

I was hoping that the -3.07 packages could be used instead. Don't know
exactly, but there is good chances that 3.07 will be released before
sarge ships or even comes near to shipping. So i guess aiming for 3.07
to be included in sarge is a good thing. I will therefor try to realise
a -snapshot package, and we can maybe convert a few -snapshot libraries
as well to test things in the bigger scheme.

> - This doesn't necessarly confuse the users, unstable users are expected
>   to know what's going on with packages they are using

A, the problem is when it enters testing and then stable. That said, i
have no fear about confusion. Ocaml users are usually rather bright
anyway.

> - Anyway I definitely dislike the idea of helping ocaml entering testing
>   using hacks. TESTING _idea_, or better TESTING _implementation_ is
>   broken, using hacks can only make this breakages going on even
>   further. I doubt that the DD community will like a sarge snapshot for
>   the end of month, have a look at a recent post on debian-devel
>   summarizing all set of packages actually out of testing (yes, it
>   mention also ocaml packages, thanks to Sven's tam tam :-)

:)))

> So my 0.02 EUR can be summarized as:
> - don't do hacks now to help ocaml enter testing
> - upload ocaml-3.06 later to support multiple version of ocaml at the
>   same time during transition phases

As said, i prefer to test with CVS snapshot packages, as the ocaml-3.06
will provide the packages which were previously virtually provided by
ocaml. And since we now got the hear of the RM, it is not as urgent.