Re: status update?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:06:53PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > ocaml-3.06.tar.gz => ocaml-3.06_3.06.orig.tar.gz => apt-get source ocaml-3.06
> Yes, this is confusing for users.

Just my 0.02 EUR on this issue:
- I agree with the idea of having multiple ocaml version installed at
  the same time
  - BUT we have not enough DD power to handle libraries for all
    available ocaml version as python guys does
    - SO we have to use this idea only during transition phases (i.e. as
      soon as a new ocaml release comes out or similar). Anyway we have
      obviously to talk more about this (e.g. what about library names?
      do you like to embed ocaml version in them as python guys do?;
      what about old libraries? are we going to remove them as soon as
      new ocaml version reach a stable state? ecc ecc ecc PLEASE don't
      start discussing this issuse on _this_ thread!, we are talking
      about something else here. New threads on the subject are
      obviously welcome)
- Choosing this schema need a transition phase; transition phase that
  could start with the ocaml-3.06 package upload
- This doesn't necessarly confuse the users, unstable users are expected
  to know what's going on with packages they are using

- Anyway I definitely dislike the idea of helping ocaml entering testing
  using hacks. TESTING _idea_, or better TESTING _implementation_ is
  broken, using hacks can only make this breakages going on even
  further. I doubt that the DD community will like a sarge snapshot for
  the end of month, have a look at a recent post on debian-devel
  summarizing all set of packages actually out of testing (yes, it
  mention also ocaml packages, thanks to Sven's tam tam :-)

So my 0.02 EUR can be summarized as:
- don't do hacks now to help ocaml enter testing
- upload ocaml-3.06 later to support multiple version of ocaml at the
  same time during transition phases

Cheers

--
Stefano Zacchiroli  --  Master in Computer Science @ Uni. Bologna, Italy