Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 12:13:04PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
[...]
> > This was the exact subject of the thread in debian-devel in 1999/01.
> > Alexandre Oliva explicitly told he did not want to implement such a flag
> > in libtool, because it provides more harm than good in the general case.
>
> Well, but the libtool and the ocaml case is different. A flag that is
> going to be used only by the debian packager is no harm.

This has been asked to libtool upstream, so cases are not that different ;)

> > IMO you have the right solution, but upstream might be reluctant to
> > implement it in this case too.
>
> Well, i can always patch my debian ocaml package, can i not.

Yes, IIRC libtool was hacked this way.  But then upstream continues to
believe that this is a dirty hack.
We should first investigate this issue to understand exactly how it works,
ask upstream to consider our position, and then patch Debian ocaml if no
consensus can be reached.
I will try to investigate the planets case, to see why RPATH is included
and if it can safely be avoided in packages.

Denis