Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:33:22PM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 02:50:06PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > you need to call the bytecode version planet-byte, and have it
> > provide planet, and call the native code version planet. Naturally,
> > you have to have the two packages to conflict so they don't install
> > at the same time.
>
> This seem gratuitous to me. Why not call the executables planet-native
> and planet-byte and use an alternative for /usr/bin/planet?

Sure you could, but it would be more work than what we do currently,
where we just install the right version of the executable in the package
and don't worry about alternatives and such. And most people will
install the native code version if available.

Now, if you can give ma legitimate reason for having the bytecode and
nativecode versions of the same package installed at the same time, i
may reconsider, but i seriously don't see that much of a need for it.
They are exactly the same program after all.