Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

Hi Sven and all others,

Am 2003-04-11 12:27 +0200 schrieb Sven Luther:
> > Another DD pointed me at the tool "chrpath" which is able to remove
> > the RPATH in a library. Would you recommend using that?
>
> ... well, i don't think i would recomend it, since the ocaml situation
> is a bit different from the C situation.

Claudio's recent mail seems to settle that issue. I'll forget about
the rpath; I'm perfectly happy with this solution, I just wanted to
settle that issue before offering a package with lintian bugs.

> Mmm, i suppose you are building on i386 only and thus producing
> native code executables, you are aware that this will break on all
> the arches where the native code is not supported (m68k, hppa, s390,
> mips, mipsel i think).

I'm aware of that issue. My current approach is to build a bytecode
package (arch: all) for the "general case" (this would binary-depend
on ocaml-base) and a package offering native versions for all
platforms supporting it.

AFAIK there is a possibility to achieve that with package diversions.
Up to now I do not know anything about that (I'm a beginner, after
all), but I will RTFM and tinker until I'm enlightened :-)

> > 	http://www.piware.de/Sources.gz
>
> Ok, i will look at it.

Thanks! As I already said: only native compiling up to now, but that's
going to change.

> I will have to update it. BTW, you are using the sid ocaml packages,
> right ?

I admit that I'm still using the testing version up to now (due to my
slow modem net connection). But if it seems advisable, I can apt-pin
to the unstable one, of course.

Thank you for your help!

Martin
--
Martin Pitt
home:  www.piware.de

Verteidigen Sie Ihre Freiheit und Ihre Rechte! Stoppt TCPA!
Defend your freedom and your rights! Stop TCPA!
http://www.notcpa.org