asking for removal of libpgsql-ocaml and ocamlsdl from testing.

Package: ftp.debian.org

Hello, ...

After many month of holding a mini-freeze for the ocaml pool of
packages, we have achieved a state where all ocaml packages currently
in testing are ready to be replaced by the ones in unstable, with two
exceptions. Ocamlsdl depends on sdl-mixer1.2 which in turn depends on
libvorbis, both of which are not yet in testing. Libpgsql-ocaml depends
on postgresql, which in turn depends on python and perl, and has 2 RC
bugs. Both of these packages are stopping ocaml 3.06 from entering
testing and as a result all the other ocaml related packages. I have
followed the instruction given in the testing FAQ, and checked (by hand)
the dependencies of all the other packages involved, and think it should
be ok. I may be wrong, but anyway the testing script could as well be
black magic for all the transparency they have, and if i am wrong, i
have no way of telling what else is needed.

I thus ask that these two problematic packages be removed from testing,
they will enter again in due time, when their dependencies are fixed.
These two packages are developpment packages, not very widely used, and
anyway, the ocaml 3.04 version currently in testing is very old, and
most people i know of are either using the 3.06 backport to woody,
homemade packages or eagerly waiting for the new version (if i can judge
from the number of people asking me clarification for why ocaml 3.06 is
not yet in testing lately).

I have gotten approval from the maintainers of both these packages, as
you can see on :

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2003/debian-ocaml-maint-200303/msg00153.html

and :

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2003/debian-ocaml-maint-200303/msg00160.html

I have planes for implementing a scheme for the ocaml package similar of
what is done for gcc, that is allow to have multiple versions installed
at the same time, so that we will never again encounter this problem in
the future, and also try to work for being ready to include the ocaml
3.07 upstream release, which will be ready before the sarge release,
before the sarge package freeze that is.

I here CC both aj (as the testing FAQ say to do) and the
debian-ocaml-maint list.

BTW, you could also remove all ocaml packages in testing, the ones
depending on the ocaml package, and this will have the same result, and
maybe will be easier for you, and make sure i didn't miss anything.