Re: New ocaml-3.06 packages to test.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:35:29PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>
> > > Nevermind. I can install ocaml in /usr/local anyway.
> >
> > No, i will try to do it as properly as possible, but remember, the
> > idea
> > was to have only one version of ocaml installed at the same time, you
> > were the principal advocate of this, so i don't know why you turned
> > around right now.
>
> Yes, but I'm sorry I don't understand the reasons for the changes
> in the packaging. If this is about build-dependencies problems,
> I4d personaly prefer that we use the ocaml >> solution temporarily
> until 3.07 is out.
> I always adviced to wait until 3.07 is out to
> have a clean solution. Of course, my opinion is not autoritative.
> My apologies again for my bad mood.

The nice thing about ocaml-3.06 package was that it would be able to
enter testing without problem (it would break nothing, since no testing
package know about it). And then, new libraries could slowly enter
testing, since not yet being in testing, they will have no conflicts,
and library packages group that have no problems will also enter
testing.

Still, they would no more be available for 3.04 if that happens, so this
would be a less large-scale version of the same situation as asking for the
removal of the packages from testing.

If we do it right, i hope we will never encounter this same situation in
future upstream new releases, since it is a very bothersome thing. I
have no hope that we will enter testing in a very short timeframe as
things stand, given the huge group of things we depend upon.

That said, stopping the mini-freeze is wrong also, since each package we
rebuild will depend on ever increasing versions of our dependencies,
which are not all ready for testing.

Well, at least, we are not depending on newer xfree86 anymore :)))