Re: fix the world, make it a better place ...

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 04:10:51PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>:
>
> > Anyway I can't see real motivations from you against this solution
> > (assuming that I've understood it correctly cause I haven't yet seen
> > the
> > ocaml packages pointed by Sven). "It's an hack" isn't a real
> > motivation
> > for me.
>
> Simply that we don't have to modify the way we package stuff
> for the sake of making autobuilders happy. It is silly
> from the user point of view.
>
> You can either change the build-deps as we have mentioned
> many times or provide a real package which satisfies
> dependencies, but that's all.

Hello everyone ...

I think i will not be uploading my ocaml-3.06 package after all, once
the current packages are in testing, i will upload a ocaml 3.06-16 that
fixes the open bugs in the -15 package.

I still think that the change is a good one, but it is true that it is
not necessary right now, as we have only one ocaml package around. I
will then first to a ocaml-snapshot package, which will change all
binaries (and manfiles, and whatever) to add a -snapshot or -cvs-<date>
or whatever feels best suffix, and will experiment the new scheme with
that. And once ocaml-3.07 is released, i package it like the cvs
version. I can also do a ocaml-3.06 3.06-17 version, if there is time
and agreement for it. I most probably will do such a package, but
maintain it in the unofficial repository until we are all convinced it
is the right way to go (or not).

Glibc will enter testing this weekend, ocaml will 10 days after Stefano
uploads the gmetadom packages, so by march 20 or something such, and
sarge will be released not earlier than july, which may (or may not) be
in time for ocaml-3.07, whose release can be expected between april and
july if all goes well.