Re: fix the world, make it a better place ...

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 03:42:54PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 02:46:25PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> >   3) Keep only one library name, and depend on libfoo (>> 3.4.5).
>
> I will use this one for the bunch of packages I'm going to rebuild.  I

Ok with me.

> suppose that dropping the << part of the dependency is to avoid testing
> problem, right?

Well, and it doesn't bring really all that much. The only way it will
help is if you upload a non backward compatible library and someone
depends on it, but is not rebuilding his package quickly enough. Anyway,
it is only a problem for -dev packages.

Notice that even the glibc dependency is using only the >> part.

> I'm also going to write the quick and dirty tool that check for
> consistency of installed ocaml library so that we, maintainers, are able
> to know if we are going to break something while uploading a new
> library.

Cool ...