Re: New ocaml-3.06 packages to test.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:32:58PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>
> > > Yes it is necessary, and then you must add the dummy packages.
> >
> > No, i don't plan to have both ocaml-3.06 and ocaml (<= 3.06-15)
> > installed at the same time, this would be nightmarish.
> >
> > The plan is that everyone uses ocaml 3.06-15, until i upload ocaml
> > 3.06-16, which will be a dummy package pulling in ocaml-3.06 3.06-16.
> >
> > This works fine, i did test it on two boxes, and it works
> > transparently
> > on upgrade.
>
> It probably works but it is hackish and ugly. I can see no reason
> for it unless having several versions of ocaml at a time.
> I see no reason for not doing properly.

Huh ???

I don't understand.

> > rename
> > >
> > > I think it is time to do it properly don't you think?
> >
> > Yes, sure, as time permits. I fixed the open bugs and the sparc FTBFS
> > issue yesterday (late, you may have noticed), which i think where more
> > important issues. That said, ocaml doesn't build yet on sparc, because
> > it fails to build the ocaml-native-compilers .deb, which has me
> > utterly
> > baffled.
>
> You don't need to perform such major changes for gringing such fixes.

Huh ?

the sparc FTBFS is a major fix, well in my opinion, and i have no
intention of ever uploading a ocaml 3.06-16 package before i am
guaranteed that it will build everywhere (or until 3.06-1 has reached
testing).

> > > Let's the mini free going on and let's take more time to experiment
> > > ideas. Would you like me to do some work on the ocaml packaging?
> >
> > Yes, but we have at least 2 weeks before us, there is no urgency. I
> > think i prefer to do the work myself, just help me out on the thinking
> > part.
>
> So do things properly, please, not a partial hackish solution.

I thought we agreed that we will not have installed two versions of the
compilers at the same time, so there is really no need to rename the
compiler suite and the manpages. There is also the emacs stuff. That
said, i would very much like to rename ocamlrun to ocamlrun-3.06, like i
said previously.

The current thing is not a hackish solution, it is designed for packages
in the archive, not really installed on your box.

Anyway, like said, i have two weeks before i upload this, so there will
be many changes yet before then, i just wanted an early opinion on the
packages. I also noticed that the ocaml-native-compilers and the
ocaml-base packages where empty.