Re: glibc is unlikely to enter testing

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:21:17PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seen on debianplanet.org that glibc is unlikely to unter
> testing because of the RPC code being non-free.

Just plain FUD, the release manager told that he will not stop glibc
from entering testing because of that, that the solution can be worked
out later.

Notice that this really makes sense, since the RPC code has been in
glibc since years (7 or even 13 or so, if i remember well), and anyway,
the RC bug is present in both the version in unstable and the version
currently in testing, so we will not be introducing any new bug into
testing because of that, which is ok with the testing script.

Anyway, the non-freeness of the RPC code doesn't even seem to be
confirmed, and it may be possible that sun would simply update the
licence accordyingly.

BTW, you best look at the debian-glibc mailing list for definite answers
on that, and i think there was also some info on on of the pasts debian
weekly news, with the mail from the RM about this issue.

> So, are there still reasons for the mini-free?

So, i think, yes, it would be ok. Anyway, do you need to upload
something nextly ?