Re: it is almost mini-freeze time ...

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:59:19PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>
> > Hello everyone, ...
> >
> > glibc 2.3.1-12 is almost ready, and should fix all RC bugs (except the
> > licence issue, but which will not stop glibc to enter testing, after
> > all
> > the licence problems has been in glibc for years, so it would not make
> > the new version less buggy than the one actually in testing). The
> > message about it can be seen here :
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2003/debian-glibc-200302/msg00191.html
> >
> > Anyway, as discussed previously, this marks the begining of our ocaml
> > mini-freeze, so that we are ready to enter testing together with the
> > new
> > glibc.
>
> Do you think this glibc fix will allow ocaml to be built on sparc
> with gcc 3.2? I'd like to be able to build cameleon on sparc now.

I got and installed a sparc box this morning, but couldn't configure the
bridge on my primary box, so i had to disable it. Anyone know how to
make a linux bridge work correctly ?

Anyway, Xavier had a look, and found the problem, it was just a
configuration problem, and can be (temporarily) sovled by doing :

    mv config/m.h config/m.h.orig
    sed -e '/ARCH_ALIGN_DOUBLE/s/undef/define/' config/m.h.orig > config/m.h

On Sparc after configure has been run.

Apparently gcc 3.2 now knows how to access 64 bit integers unaligned,
while older gcc didn't know how to do this, or maybe it is just the
configure script testing which went bad.