Re: it is almost mini-freeze time ...

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:39:11PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>
> > > Do you think this glibc fix will allow ocaml to be built on sparc
> > > with gcc 3.2? I'd like to be able to build cameleon on sparc now.
> >
> > Don't know, i will test. I am not even sure it is related to that.
> > So, if any of you have access to a sparc box running debian/unstable,
> > and would be ok with giving Xavier access, then please tell me, if
> > not,
> > i will try out the new glibc, and if it doesn't solve things, fill a
> > bug
> > against gcc 3.2, and ask for a machine on debian-sparc.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have any.
>
> > In the meantime, you can always force the usage of gcc 2.95, using the
> > -cc option to configure. Anyway, ocaml 3.06-15 is built with gcc 2.95,
> > and 3.06-16 is sitting in the new queue.
>
> Didn't we say that we would get back to build-dependencies on
> ocaml >= version?

Nope, i do it like gcc does.

I have prepared a ocaml-3.06 source package which builds real
ocaml-base-3.06-1, ocaml-3.06-1, ocaml-native-compiles-3.06-1 and
ocaml-source-3.06 packages.

Once that has been accepted in the archive, and built for every arch
(which includes sparc), i will upload a dummy ocaml packages which
depends on ocaml-3.06-1 and possibly on ocaml-nativecompiles-3.06-1.

This would get us the benefit of what we were previously doing, without
the problems associated with virtual packages.

We were going to rever to the build-depends on >= versions, for
libraries, where this same approach would maybe be too heavy, altough
the C libraries do it also with the new policy of including the so name
in the package name.