Re: versioned libraries dependencies

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 03:48:03PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I propose to add versioned dependencies between libraries like those
> between libraries and the ocaml compiler/interpreter.
>
> e.g.:
> - pxp build depends on ocamlnet
> - netclient build depends on ocamlnet

Mmm,

look at the following (from a mail to the debian-x mailing list from
Herbert, about the xlibmesa package name) :

> Shared library packages carry part of the soname in their names so that
> multiple versions can be installed simultaneously.  This does not seem
> to be the case here as 3 is not related to the soname.  In the event that
> the mesa version number is bumped without the ABI changing, you risk
> either being inconsistent or changing the package name gratuitously.

And i guess the soname issue that is assuredly written in some document
somewhere is very similar to what we are encountering here, so should we
maybe not adopt the same solution as those ? Especially as the virtual
package thingy did not work as expected.

Anyway, i guess you have not much time right now, but it is something to
look into when we finalize the policy document about this.