Re: other META: lablgl, lablgtkgl, ...

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 12:33:09PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Yes, i understand this, but it is still a hacky workaround. After the
> info from Claudio, i guess the correct way to solve this would be to
> move all the META files to a common directory, and have one META file
> for lablgtk and another for lablgl, without needing to move lablgtkgl
> into another directory, which is the hacky part of your solution, if i
> understood it well.

Yes and no: moving META files in a common directory avoid creating a new
directory for lablgtkgl, but you still need an additional META file for
it to resolve the findlib dependencies issue.

> That said, what about creating a ocaml-findlib-metas or
> ocaml-findlib-data package, containing all the meta files, and which
> could be upgraded everytime there is a change, without needing to
> rebuild the libraries, with all the dependency and testing migration
> problems this may cause.

Absolutely not, META file should be shipped along with a library, not in
a separate package because it is logically related to a library and
should be provided upstream when possible.
Moreover who wants to maintain such a package which has to be updated
each time a version of any ocaml libraries change? Zack surely not!

> > If you keep on having a single findlib package for lablgtk you have to
> > impose a global dependencies from lablgtk to lablgl, this has nothing to
> > do with META file size.
> Yes, another shortcoming of the current META file format.

Again: go and propose a better solution to Gerd ...

> Ok, i will try to contact him this WE.

... indeed ... ;)

Stefano Zacchiroli  -  Undergraduate Student of CS @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it}  -  http://www.bononia.it/zack/
"  I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!  " -- G.Romney