Re: [bugreport] lablgtk un{st,us}able

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 05:12:49PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I'm a bit puzzled about the behaviour of lablgtk on debian/unstable, I'm
> using the latest 1.x lablgtk version (1.2.5-6+20021031).
>
> Even the simplest /usr/share/doc/liblablgtk-ocaml-dev/examples/hello.ml
> doesn't work (I've removed some blank lines from the a.out output
> between various Gtk/Glib messages to trim down this mail):

Huh ???

>    zack@lordsoth:/tmp$ ocamlfind ocamlc -package lablgtk -linkpkg hello.ml
>    File "hello.ml", line 10, characters 2-98:
>    Warning: this expression should have type unit.
>    File "hello.ml", line 12, characters 2-44:
>    Warning: this expression should have type unit.
>    File "hello.ml", line 13, characters 2-74:
>    Warning: this expression should have type unit.
>    File "hello.ml", line 14, characters 2-49:
>    Warning: this expression should have type unit.
>
>    zack@lordsoth:/tmp$ ./a.out
>
>    GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 138 (g_hash_table_lookup): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed.
>    Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_type_create(): unknown parent type `21'.
>    GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 138 (g_hash_table_lookup): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed.
>    GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 152 (g_hash_table_insert): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed.
>    GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 138 (g_hash_table_lookup): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed.
>    GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 152 (g_hash_table_insert): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed.

> and then the a.out executable hangs waiting forever.
> Compiling a.out with ocamlopt produces the same result.

I can confirm this behavior ...

The same behavior is shown with either lablgtk or lablgtk and even if
you run it without ocamlfind, it is the same;

The strange thing is that if i compile my lablgtk related aoo, it works
fine be it with lablgtk or lablgtk2.

So, maybe this is something which has to do with hello.ml particularly,
or some other such stuff.

> I've tried with older version of lablgtk until 1.2.5-3 and the behaviour
> is the same.

Yes, very strange, in particular labgltk and lablgtk2 should not exhibit
the same behavior.

Mmm, will look at it into more detail this evening.

BTW, about ocamlfind, should you not test that /etc/ocamlfind exists
before opening the dialog about it ?

BTW2, what about moving /etc/ocamlfind to /etc/ocaml/findlib ?