Re: buildd and virtual (build) dependencies :(((

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 11:51:13AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 11:31:50AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Now, James Troup, which maintain the sparc and arm autobuilders did
> > contact me and told me i should no more use virtual build-depends, and
> > as i wanted some more info, and was a bit too insistent, he decided not
> > to speak to me anymore :(((.
>
> Well James Troup contacted me too as you can see from the To: field of
> the mail :-)

Mmm, didn't notice about this.

> > autobuilders, and should best find another solution, or maybe someone
> > else could approach James about the subject, maybe someone who had
> > problems with his packages also, and try to get to the heart of what the
> > problem really is. James was kind of saying that i am uninformed and that
>
> I've already sent him a mail asking for more information on the subject,
> basically about the reason behind his mail, because a "please don't use
> virtual build dependencies" message isn't really self-explaining :)

No, it isn't.

> I'm still waiting for an answer ...
>
> I suggest to wait just another day or two and then go for another
> revolution getting rid of all virtual build dependencies, both on ocaml
> package and between libraries.

No, we will wait at least a week or two, a day is as nothing for James.
Also, i don't think we should back pedal on this until we understand all
of what is going on here, and the implications of it.

> BTW, wait just a bit more patching the policy with my latest patch, we
> will probably have to restate hit in term of versioned dependencies for
> the 'build-dep' side.

:(((

Another example of not doing the right thing.

I would much prefer fixing the auto-builders.

BTW, do anyone know where the auto-builder source code is located.