Re: Latest dist-upgrade didn't behave as expected

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 10:10:54AM +0100, Remi VANICAT wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > Because it is easier, and they did not read the documentation ?
>
> Yes, and no, from the man :
>   dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
>   also  intelligently  handles changing dependencies with new ver-
>   sions of packages; apt-get has  a  "smart"  conflict  resolution
>   system,  and it will attempt to upgrade the most important pack-
>   ages at the expense of less important ones  if  necessary.   The
>   /etc/apt/sources.list  file  contains  a  list of locations from
>   which to retrieve desired package files.

Well, nothing is said on when to use it here.

> And from the Apt HOWTO, section about upgrading package
>   There's no clean solution for this first case. For the second case,
>   it's sufficient to run apt-get install for the specific package in
>   question, as this will download the dependencies. An even cleaner
>   solution is to use dist-upgrade. See section Upgrading to a new
>   release, Section 3.5.

Mmm, this does not seem to agree with what apt people told me some time
ago.

Also, i think the fact that you should not use dist-uprades is more
based on experience than on actual rule, as you have shown.

> Of course some time it failed. but the man doesn't say that it is only
> for distribution upgrade. (And I always do a double check before
> accepting any upgrade or dist-upgrade).

Well, the name of the option sugests it, does it not ? dist-upgrade,
dist -> distribution :))

Anyway, i have uploaded 3.04-14 this morning and not installed it on my
system, and will check how apt-get does it works once it hits the
archive.