Re: libdir transition.

Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> Hello everyone ...

Hello,

> I just want a quick tour of opinions on what to do with the libdir
> transition.
>
> I have package ready (well almost ready, need to recheck them) but there
> is a bug in dpkg which hinders our upgrade plan, which i filled a bug
> for, but for which i got no response.
>
> The problem will hit people upgrading from ocaml providing ocaml-3.06 to
> ocam lproviding ocaml-3.06-1, since dpkg will not check that the package
> it is upgrading will no more provide the virtual package that is needed
> in the new package.
>
> I don't really know, but maybe apt will do the check for us. Will be
> testing this.
>
> Anyway, in this case, do we go ahead with the translation, or not ? ANd
> if yes, which would be the more appropriate time for it ?

  Dpkg is too critical not to consider such a bug.
  I do personaly sometimes install a list of packages manualy through
  dpkg, without APT. And I guess I may not be the only.

  It would be wise to put the libdir transition on hold, until dpkg
  gets fixed. (note the Wichert seems to have orphaned a lot of
  packages recently, and dpkg is stalled).

Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org