Re: versioned libraries dependencies

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:59:11PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>

> >> Sorry, I do not understand what needs to be added to the policy.
> >> Do you want to add an explaination on how to work out the dependency
> >> problems you described?
> >
> > Jerome, i think you misunderstood, what he wants is not to do a :
> >
> > depend: ocamlnet (>= 4.5.6), ocamlnet (<4.5.7)
> >
> > but to use a virtual package like ocaml does, that is ocamlnet 4.5.6
> > would :
> >
> > provide: ocamlnet-4.5.6.
> >
> > And what would be in the policy would be an explanation, plus some text
> > making this mandatory to be policy compliant.
>
>   Yes I understood correctly. But it is not necessary to make it mandatory
>   since it really depends on applications. Those which are source compatible
>   won't require it.

Err, ... it is about libraries, not applications. And the idea is to
bump the virtual provide version when an incompatibility is added. I
know you will know that the current version is source compatible with
the previous one, but how can you now it will be source compatible with
the next version ?

Also, i am not entirely sure that source compatibility is enough in this
case, not sure though.

Anyway, the idea is to make it mandatory for the case where it will
break things not having it.