Re: proposal: new ocaml dirs schema

Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

>> Err, this is an experiment, so it must be uploaded either to experimental
>> or on a website.
>
> Ok, you want it in a separate repository. Then we will have to go the
> way of gnome2, have all things that may break into experimental or a
> staging area, and then move everything to unstable later on. I am not
> really sure that i want to go this way. If all libraries get rebuild
> fast, then there will be almost no problem with it. Also, i don't really
> see what is experimental with the ocamllib dir change ? It is only a
> problem of transition, it cannot cause any unwanted breakage apart from
> the need to rebuild the libraries.

  Of course I can cause breakage, didn't you understand the example I
  gave ?

> Mmm, What i think would be best is :
>
> Wait until ocaml 3.06 enters testing with all the libraries.
>
> Then do the change in unstable.
>
> So the people don't wanting things to break could follow testing, as
> they should, and we can do the dir move in unstable in the meantime.
>
> If we do it right now, there will be no older ocaml 3.06 packages, and
> this may break things.

  What I have in mind is: first thinking of the problem, then implementing
  it, then testing it with packages (in a stagging area) and when you're sure
  it works fine, uploading it to unstable.

>> > And then, as an example, i will package ocaml-cvs, and you can look and
>> > see how it works. There will, at first, not be any kind of libraries for
>> > this one, so it will be easier. Then, if we are satisfied with it, i can
>> > rebuild ocaml 3.04, and you can play some with the libraries to see if
>> > you like it.
>>
>> IMO, there is no need to have ocaml-cvs and ocaml installed at the same
>> time.
>
> Why not ?

  Please see my counter-proposal.

Jérôme Marant