Re: proposal: new ocaml dirs schema

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:16:30AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> The plan i had was to have this other ocaml package installable, and
> that only people who knew what they where doing could use it. That is
> why i don't really like Stefano's symlink stuff.

Note that once we have only one ocaml package which depends on
ocaml-3.06 package (as in these days it should be).
The user that install ocaml package sees no differences compared with
the current situation.

The other ocaml-<version> package will not change the symlink when
installed.

For example I've currently installed packages python, python2.1,
python2.2 and python2.3, the current debian python version is 2.2
I've the symlink /usr/bin/python -> python2.2 and users see no
differences in running python or python2.2, installing packages
python2.1 and python2.3 doesn't change python symlink but also provides
two more executables.
Only when python maintainers decide to bump the debian python version
they change the python package making it depend on python2.3 and making
it change the python symlink.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney