Re: Is it possible to package baire?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 01:27:29PM +0800, Yang Shouxun wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 22:11, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > > There is no documentation (except the .ml and .mli files). The package
> > > contains a license file in French, as is the case of some comments in the
> > > source files and the creator's webpage. I cannot read French :(
> >
> > Please, could you send me the web site for downloading it, and i will
> > have a look, and maybe make the initial packaging.
>
> Sorry, I thought you know it. The package is announced at Caml Humps
> (http://caml.inria.fr/humps/index_framed_caml.html).

Ok, i did find it myself.

> With more experience with the package, I found quite a few bugs, mainly
> related to the boundary check problem.

Is it already released ? I downloaded baire, but i did find only the
unreleased versions. I am not sure it is yet ready to be released or so.

> > BTW, We are ever searching more people to help us work on packaging
> > ocaml stuff, if you feel like it, i would be glad to sponsor you, and to
> > guide you trough the learning of how to make debian packages of ocaml
> > stuff.
>
> That's very kind of you, but that means to learn a lot of things. I can try if
> it's not too fast-paced.

Well, packaging a library is not all that difficult. If you want to go
this way, first you may need to read the ocaml_packaging_policy, which
is in /usr/share/doc/ocaml, and is part of the ocaml package. Then, it
would be good to look at an existing library package to see how it is
packaged. From my packages, you can look at camlzip, which is small, but
i just noticed it doesn't yet do the stublibs thingy correctly, i will
upload a fixed package as soon as ocaml enters testing. but the things
you have to modify are well described in the packaging policy.

Then, you may just use dh_make (in the dh_make package) in the source
directory, which will create for you the debian directory, but
apparently, there are few problems right now, at least for me, i don't
know yet if dh_make is buggy, or if it does not like the baire package
somehow.

Apart from that, there is also the new maintainer guide that you can
read, find it at : http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

And as said, any question you have, i will gladly answer you, and i
guess it is the same for the other debian/ocaml maintainers.