Re: dependencies and cascade

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:01:18AM +0200, Georges Mariano wrote:
> My question is : is there any way to avoid duplicating dependencies
> already stated by packages already installed.

Yes, it is possible, but not reccomended.
This question raised up some time ago on the debian-mentors ML (please
look for it on the ML archive) and the answer was that a package should
declare dependencies on all packages it need, except essential packages
obviously.

The reason is for easyness of amministration, mainly because you can
guarantee the consistency of the dependencies only for the subset of
package you maintain (which is the case for ocaml and ocaml-base
maintained by Sven, but this is a general consideration ...).

Consider this as a safety choice.

Moreover how does this choice cause problems?

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney