Re: purge_ld_conf.pl [Was: Re: the move to stublib]

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 07:15:14PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > [ BTW I've also sent to the BTS the ancient patch for ocaml-ldconf, so
> > you can see if there is still the case to apply it or not ]
>
> you forgot to attach it or something.

yep, as usual, resent!

> Note: i also applied the ocaml-source move.

great.

> > > Notice, the third option (doing nothing) is also valable, since the
> > > paths added by /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf come _after_ the default ones, and
> > > it would just search a few more path in the unlikely case that you try
> >
> > see above.
>
> Well, i still think it is something that needs to be around forever.

Why you think so? I'm trading off usefullness of the fix with cleanness
[ it this word really exists in an english dictionary ] ot the package.
Do you agree with me that the user base affected by the problem after
woody + 1 is really tiny, if not empty? Then, why keep this trick
forevere? We have the bug now and I've seen few people arguing about it,
moreover the bug isn't directly seen by the user, he can safely continue
in compiling and using other ocaml related apps without even knowing
that it have a bugged ld.conf. _We_ want to solve the bug because we
hate a useless entry in ld.conf (those damnet computer scientist guys!
:-)

> Mmm, does adding a dh_ocamlld -r do the thing we want ? I don't think
> so, we maybe need to call ocaml-ldconf -R -plibname-ocaml explicitly in
> a hand written postinst, until woody +1.
>
> Mmm, if there is no -r <version_number> option that we could pass to
> dh_ocamlld, then a centralized solution would be better, are you sure
> you are not saying that so i go for your solution ? :))))

I was just thinking to explicitely call ocaml-ldconf -R ... until
woody+1, but if you change your mind and agree with a centralized
solution .... :-)

> Mmm, maybe i will learn perl finally and write it myself ...

don't do it, avoid risks for your brain as most as you can! :-))

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney