Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:28:47PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> But going for Xavier's 'only true Unix way', remember that you have to
> run ldconfig once you have changed /etc/ld.conf, so it is not that
> counter intuitive. And there is a warning on top of /etc/ocaml/ld.conf
> about this, if i remember well.

The comment states:

  # On debian systems, this file is read by the ocaml-ldconf
  # tool, together with /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf, to generate
  # the standard ocaml /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf file.

is not clear that you have to rerun ocaml-ldconf after changing
/etc/ocaml/ld.conf, IMHO.

> > As stated in another mail, findlib is already /etc/ocaml/ld.conf aware!
> > Just set CAMLLIB=/etc/ocaml while doing "ocamlfind install" and findlib
>
> This is a strange thing, the many many different meanings that are given
> to CAMLLIB (it is also supposed to point to /usr/lib/ocaml or wherever
> ocaml installs its stuff, is it not ?).

Indeed is a work around not a real solution. Anyway note that I suggest
to local declare CAMLLIB=`pwd` only when doing 'ocamlfind install' and
not while doing 'ocamlfind something_else' because CAMLLIB, if set,
override the default ocaml library directory.

> So you also are in favor of a single directory ?

Yes, but also if that policy will spread enough among ocaml developers
and if it causes no trouble to the various ocaml* tools.

> That said, let's standardize on a single directory, say
> /usr/lib/ocaml/shlibs like Xavier suggested, and keep the ocaml-ldconf
> around for the cases were the library package don't conform to this
> standard.

... indeed but I would really prefer if Xavier will do something more
that "suggesting" a directory, he and all the OCaml guys have to publish
a policy or something like that IMO.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney