Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:39:23AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 08:25:59AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Then you simply didn't understand how it really works.
>
> I think that Claudio was talking about the fact that after modifing
> /etc/ocaml/ld.conf you have to invoke ocaml-ldconf which is not really
> intuitive. One usually expects that modification to configuration file,
> expecially if they resides in /etc, will be effective. Maybe we can
> state that more precisely in the /etc/ocaml/ld.conf comment? Something
> like "you have to invoke ocaml-ldconf to make your modifications
> effective".

But going for Xavier's 'only true Unix way', remember that you have to
run ldconfig once you have changed /etc/ld.conf, so it is not that
counter intuitive. And there is a warning on top of /etc/ocaml/ld.conf
about this, if i remember well.

Anyway, i was being a bit (maybe too much ?) provocative in that
previous mail, i apologize for it if someone took it badly, but i didn't
realize that it was the automated hand installed packages that were
causing troubles.

> > Mmm, maybe we should make findlib aware of the /etc/ocaml/ld.conf file ?
>
> As stated in another mail, findlib is already /etc/ocaml/ld.conf aware!
> Just set CAMLLIB=/etc/ocaml while doing "ocamlfind install" and findlib

This is a strange thing, the many many different meanings that are given
to CAMLLIB (it is also supposed to point to /usr/lib/ocaml or wherever
ocaml installs its stuff, is it not ?).

> will add lines to ld.conf. This is good for manually installed stuff
> (which Claudio likes really much ;-) but for debian package the right
> solution is use /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf (or better use a single directory
> for all .so ...).

So you also are in favor of a single directory ?

That said, let's standardize on a single directory, say
/usr/lib/ocaml/shlibs like Xavier suggested, and keep the ocaml-ldconf
around for the cases were the library package don't conform to this
standard.