Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 08:25:59AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Then you simply didn't understand how it really works.

I think that Claudio was talking about the fact that after modifing
/etc/ocaml/ld.conf you have to invoke ocaml-ldconf which is not really
intuitive. One usually expects that modification to configuration file,
expecially if they resides in /etc, will be effective. Maybe we can
state that more precisely in the /etc/ocaml/ld.conf comment? Something
like "you have to invoke ocaml-ldconf to make your modifications
effective".

> Mmm, maybe we should make findlib aware of the /etc/ocaml/ld.conf file ?

As stated in another mail, findlib is already /etc/ocaml/ld.conf aware!
Just set CAMLLIB=/etc/ocaml while doing "ocamlfind install" and findlib
will add lines to ld.conf. This is good for manually installed stuff
(which Claudio likes really much ;-) but for debian package the right
solution is use /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf (or better use a single directory
for all .so ...).

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney