Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 05:29:52PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> BTW, Xavier don't likes ocaml-ldconf :(((
>
> What do you all thing about it ?

I already replied on the ocaml ML, anyway: I think that the better
solution is to have all .so files in a single directory (maybe
/usr/lib/ocaml itself or /var/lib/what_the_hel) and all other stuff
(including .cma, .cmo, .cm... and META files) in the usual
/usr/lib/ocaml/library_name.

The problem is that currently really a few library installation supports
this idea and surely findlib currently do not permit as a command line
option to install .so in a directory different from the library
installation directory.
Surely we, as debian developers, can install .so in a single directory,
but:
- we have to decide which is the correct one
- we have to state it in the upcoming debian ocaml policy
- we have to change all our packages to fit with this requirement :-(

Someone on the OCaml ML also pointed out that ocamlmktop doesn't work if
the .so resides in a directory different that the standard library
installation directory. This sounds me very strange, but I haven't
checked it out.

My 0.02 EUR.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney