Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier) writes:

> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 05:29:52PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> [...]
>> BTW, Xavier don't likes ocaml-ldconf :(((
>
> Did he gave some reasons?

to quote him :

"The ld.conf mechanism was modeled after the /etc/ld.so.conf file used
by the Unix dynamic loader.  It is intended to list a small number of
standard directories that contain shared libraries, typically one
directory for the "system" libraries (i.e. those provided by the OCaml
core distribution), one for local extensions (e.g. /usr/local/lib),
and perhaps one or two for especially large packages with many libraries
(e.g. /usr/X11R6/lib). "

his suggestion :
"So, to summarize, I strongly suggest the following approach for RPMs
or Debian packages:
- The main Caml package can add one or two lines to ld.conf,
  e.g. /var/lib/ocaml/shlibs (for libraries installed by other packages)
  and /usr/local/lib/ocaml/shlibs (for local stuff)
- Packages for additional Caml libraries install their shared libraries
  in /var/lib/ocaml/shlibs, either directly or via a symlink.
"

by the way he had also said :
"(And, yes, I haven't followed this recommendation in some of the
standard OCaml libraries (labltk) or some of my own extensions,
but I've realized my error and intend to fix this in release 3.05.)
"

> Denis
>

> --

Rémi Vanicat