Re: popularity-contest

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 03:55:42PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 02:18:34PM +0200, Sven wrote:
> > Finally, i did have a look at the debian-cd package, and noticed they did use
> > the popularity contest to generate priority list of packages. The ocaml
> > packages is roughly at 16% of that file for woody, other ocaml package seem to
> > be much lower, at around 50% or so for the few i looked at (mostly mine).
>
> Uhm .. this is surely an image problem for our community, but I really
> dislike popularity-contest because I don't want to send out information
> about packages that I've installed on my machine, is a matter of
> privacy; so I will not install popularity-contest only to make ocaml
> gain position in the priority list.

No problem, i understand this, and warned about it in the mail (but then, not
in the part cited here). It is supposed to be anonymous though (well your mta
still fills stuff, but it is not taken in account).

> That said the intersection between people that use popularity-contest
> and people that use ocaml is really tiny; probably is bad to use
> popularity-contest regaring debian-cd but I can't imagine a better
> solution.

Well, we could lobby for the inclusion of ocaml-task in a higher place, but
this did not went well for the tasksel stuff.