popularity-contest

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 02:18:34PM +0200, Sven wrote:
> Finally, i did have a look at the debian-cd package, and noticed they did use
> the popularity contest to generate priority list of packages. The ocaml
> packages is roughly at 16% of that file for woody, other ocaml package seem to
> be much lower, at around 50% or so for the few i looked at (mostly mine).

Uhm .. this is surely an image problem for our community, but I really
dislike popularity-contest because I don't want to send out information
about packages that I've installed on my machine, is a matter of
privacy; so I will not install popularity-contest only to make ocaml
gain position in the priority list.

That said the intersection between people that use popularity-contest
and people that use ocaml is really tiny; probably is bad to use
popularity-contest regaring debian-cd but I can't imagine a better
solution.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney