Re: various announcement of new and/or updated package

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 10:07:11PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 03:31:51PM +0200, Sven wrote:
> > Mmm, what about sending a mail about those to debian-news ?
>
> Good idea, but I always forget doing it.
> Maybe we can send a global announcement announcing many of the changes
> we introduced as the debian ocaml community?

I don't know, it is best to send announcement per package (i announced both
advi and whizzytex, but it was delayed (until it reached the archive) and
finally only advi was announced.

That said, we could also imagine sending them a small article about us or
something such, but i don't feel like writing this.

> I don't remember if you sent an announcement of the debian ocaml policy.

Mmm, no, i didn't, and i would much like it beeing cleaned up somewhat before
anouncing anything of the sort.

> What else packages can we announce on DWN?

Each time you have a package you feel is imprtant, simply tell them about it.
Mostly it will be apps though, not really libraries.

That said, following the thread about the abandoned gnome-apt program, maybe
someone would like to write a small lablgtk frontend to apt ? It would be a
nice little project, ...

Finally, i did have a look at the debian-cd package, and noticed they did use
the popularity contest to generate priority list of packages. The ocaml
packages is roughly at 16% of that file for woody, other ocaml package seem to
be much lower, at around 50% or so for the few i looked at (mostly mine).

Maybe someone could look into this popularity contest stuff, and we could
install it on our boxes, so we go higher in this list, and would even achieve
to have the ocaml task included in tasksel for woody+1.

Apparently, you just need to install the popularity-contest package, and it
sends anonymous mails to some mail box with data about the installed packages,
so i don't know if many people would like to do this kind of thing.