Re: camlzip 1.01-1 uploaded ...

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:46:02 +0100
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 02:42:38PM +0100, Georges Mariano
> wrote:> Sorry, but I can't remember the reason why you _have
> to_ change> the upstream name ? (i.e what's the problem with it
> ?)
>
> Because we need a consistent naming schema for ocaml libraries.

Why ? I mean, suppose that I'm a user who wants to find something
related to OCaml and doing, say image processing ...

let's go : apt-cache search caml | grep image ...

and so on ... (apt-cache show on the result to see if it is
a lib or something else ...)

Is there somewhere in Debian Policy/ies something stating that
those who are building a specific set of packages should use
a naming schema ?

May be naming schemas were useful when there was no
browsing/searching tools on packages, but this is no more the
case ...

So, I would prefer no policy than an ugly and unuseful one.
Since 4 years I manage debian boxes (laptops/desktops),
I have built a few little package, I *never*, repeat *never*
use the fact that (certain) names are following a naming scheme
(maybe simply because there are always exceptions ?...)

On the opposite, it's very frustrating to read an (error) message
stating something like "you need xxxxx to install yyyyy" (you
know, just at the end of ./configure ;-). Just after, apt-get
install xxxxx fails and you find ultimately that apt-get install
libxxxx0g-dev was correct...

> The one proposed by Sven is ok for me and surely is ok also for
> him. If you really wants to, we can vote and take a global
> (i.e. the one that we will put in the ocaml debian policy)
> decision.

just make what you want...
and, BTW, what if I had wrote first the policy with a naming
scheme base on ocaml-....-lib/-dev/-doc ??

> Next, remaining in the schema, if you think that
> libimages-ocaml is a better name I can also choose it, but in
> such a case the upstream name is even more hidden.

Camlimages is a good name. It only has the drawback that you
can fit it in a policy... don't see the point.

mailto:georges.mariano@inrets.fr     tel: (33) 03 20 43 84 06
INRETS, 20 rue Élisée Reclus         fax: (33) 03 20 43 83 59
BP 317 -- 59666 Villeneuve d'Ascq
http://www3.inrets.fr/estas/mariano