Re: task packages ???

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 10:26:10 +0100
Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

> Anyway, i guess you are the only judge on this anyway, and
> I don't have time
> right now for a more elaborate argument.

Ok, let me spend a few minutes to write a few line about this...

Okay, OCaml developers are not numerous but :
* [Software engineering perspective]
It is well known that high level languages are good candidates
to develop clean, modular and efficient software. Since quality
is a concern deeply rooted in Debian's strategy, providing functional
technologies (and not only usual technologies used by the masses)
is a step in the rigth way.
[more exactly, in one of the right way_s_, obviously, there are many
other ways to reach high quality ]

* [Debian perspective]
I think it is one of the Debian's goal to broadcast state-of-art
technologies (there are much more rpm packaging system's users
than debian system's users, and what ?? it's clear that the Debian's
one is much more smart and efficient).
Having OCaml in the task selection, may be usefull to attract
developers
with high level/knowledge in the field of software development.

* ["Social" perspective]
Having OCaml (and may be others languages) in "the front-end" will
be a clear way to show that Debian is not only concerned by
"mass-communication" but also by "mass-education"

Cheers

--
# mailto:Georges.Mariano@inrets.fr     tel: (33) 03 20 43 84 06
# INRETS, 20 rue Élisée Reclus         fax: (33) 03 20 43 83 59