Re: woody freeze, CDK, ...

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 01:30:17AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Sven> We would have a collection of package which are also the ones
> Sven> contained in the cdk. the task-cdk pseudo package (or whatever
> Sven> it is called) will depend on all of them, and thus installing it
> Sven> will install all the packages contained in the cdk.
>
> But aren't task packages going away already in woody?  There's a new
> mechanism for tasks designed by Joey Hess and Anthony Towns, that is
> orthogonal to/separate from packages.  Look at the devel list for
> these few past weeks.

Ok, i didn't know that. But we need such a stuff anyway, be it the old
packages or the new stuff. (and i don't read -devel, sorry, don't have time
for it). I will wait for the policy freeze, and then look at it.

> Sven> The main reason, is if the cdk stuff becomes popular, people may
> Sven> want to have all the cdk stuff installed, and thus the use of
> Sven> the task-cdk package. Even if we have a single source package,
> Sven> there will be multiple binaries.
>
> Sven> Another reason to do this, may be so one version of the cdk we
> Sven> have will agree on the cdk from the cdk guys. That said, i am
> Sven> not sure if that is what we really want, and if it is not a
> Sven> hindrance to us.
>
> I would just leave cdk alone for now.  I haven't used it, but I _bet_
> there are many rough edges where the various pieces are not perfectly
> integrated yet, and it doesn't sense to fix it in Debian before it is
> fixed upstream.

but we can package all the same thing they package, especially libraries.
Mostly, it seems to me they do the exact same thing that we do.

But consider, if woody is released without the cdk, it will be a year or such
before the next version will be around, so this may need thinking.

> Sven> main, There are no ocaml packages left in non-free/contrib, at
> Sven> least i believe such.
>
> ocamltk?

mmm, yes, but this will befixed soon i hope. I remember some discution with
the ocamltk folk about it. mmm, another thing in my TODO list.