Re: LablGtk packages planned/done ?

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 01:50:26PM +0100, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 13:05:00 +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > BTW, you want to package them, isn't it ? do you have contact with jacques
> > guarrigue ? he is the upstream author.
>
> [Sorry for not being much active in the discussion before, but I have
>  had many problems with the new]
>
>  I also took contacts with Guarrigue in order to package lablgtk both
>  for RedHat and Debian, but then I did a quick RedHat package and I was
>  waiting for more time to look at the Debian one. He said to me that
>  there were no problems in changing the license into that of OCaml.

Yes, that is what he told me also, but it was a long time ago, and i thought i
had uploaded the packages and forgot about them, and now it appear that this
is not the case, don't know why, will see if i can get back the one i lost in
a disk crashes, altough i have not much hope.

>  By the way,
>
>  1) Now the new snapshot has been released. In the previous one the
>     Makefile did not install the .h files. These, too, were greatly
>     incomplete, so that it was very difficult to add new widgets
>     without messing with Guarrigue's code. I hope the problems have
>     been solved.

Yes, downloaded it yesterday, didn't play with them yet.

>  2) I would really prefere three packages: one for the bare lablgtk binding,
>     one for the GtkXMHTML widget and one for LablGL. In the Makefile of
>     Guarrigue they are all messed together.

Now i remember, i will look into my mailing archive, but ideally we would need
more than 3 packages. will forward the message i exchanged with jacques aput
it here.

>  3) When the package will be available, I will try to package another
>     binding for another widget: http://www.cs.unibo.it/helm/software/mml-widget

Don't know about it, what does it do ?

> > Also, i have planes, as time permits, to integrate the low level code of both
> > mlgtk and lablgtk (being one of the authors of mlgtk) and have only the upper
> > level (the OO wrappers) differ.
>
>  This would really help providing the bindings for both (I tried for the
>  mml-widget , an then I gave up on mlgtk, but I would be happy to start again).

Also, in this context, i have been working on the c2caml tool. I just opened a
sourceforge site fro it, but there is still nothing for it there.

The c2caml tool is a tool that should generate ocaml binding from a C .h
header in a automatic or semi-automatic way. It would be the ideal tool for
writing the bindings, and keeping them uptodate. Especially when the next
version of gtk+ comes around, or if you want to support other libraries, like
the gnome stuff for example.

I don't really have time for it though, The current code correctly parses all
the gtk+ headers and put all the stuff into a big list like data structure.
(well most of it, i think it was not really complete).

I had a TER student working on it last year, but it went not very far, because
she had not much experience with ocaml nor compilation to begin with.

I proposed it against this year, but it seems nobody choose it :(((

Will inform you about it more in detail once the sourceforge site is up if you
are interrested.