Re: searching ocaml packages

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 03:08:17PM +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 03:50:41PM +0100, Georges Mariano wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > A little suggestion :
> > It would be nice if a sentence like
> > <<X is written in Ocaml>> will be present in every
> > package description.
> >
> > Not only for advertising around Ocaml ;-) but also
> > to be able to find every Ocaml related package in
> > the distribution
>
> Will a search for the depend line using ocaml not do the job ?
>
> normally each package that contains the bytecode exectuables should depend on
> ocaml (but you may have to add the dependency by hand).

Certainly not when it is compiled to native. In fact, I had dependency
from ocaml in my first package for bibtex2html and got a bug report
from a user who did not want to download and install the complete
ocaml package to run bibtex2html. I think this person was absolutely
right to complain.

BTW, Sven: Didn't you always plan to split the ocaml package into somthing
like ocaml-run and ocaml-devel :-) ?

-Ralf.
--
Ralf Treinen, Paris, France. http://perso.club-internet.fr/treinen