Re: [Debian-np-devel] A question to Debian NP team

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 02:15:06AM +0200, guillaume pernot wrote:
> just my 2 cents: i don't like that much the idea mark shuttlewort
> has of hiring the top 20 debian developers and make them work on
> something else than debian.

[ For those that don't know, I've taken a job with Mark. ]

Many/most of the folks on the project are working on Debian between
part and full time. Certainly most of the Debian developers who have
been hired are in this category. As Steve pointed out, many/most of us
have left jobs where we were not encouraged/paid to work on Debian at
all.

Even in the process of working on internal company communication (ones
of my less glamorous tasks) he's encouraged me to make improvements to
the tools I'm using and to give them back to the upstream. :)

> please don't mix cdd (that can build systems from "debian in my
> coffee machine" upto "debian for my 100+ nodes s/390 cluster") with
> debian-np (that is just "i want debian on my [P]PC, so that i can
> make my everyday work with it") I work on that.

Maybe the folks who want Debian on their coffee machine or the S/390
won't have a lot to share. But I'll bet the folks in Debian-Desktop,
and Debian-Edu, and Debian-Enterprise will have a lot of good stuff we
want. We've booted something called Debian-NP twice now and the only
reason is because we've had a hell of a lot of work done for us by
folks who weren't very interested in non-profits at all. We benefit
from sharing and I strongly believe that it's in our best interest to
create a common infrastructure to make sure that everyone can share
and work together more effectively.

Regards,
Mako

--