DebConf23 closes in Kochi and DebConf24 dates announced

The Debian Project                               https://www.debian.org/
DebConf23 closes in Kochi and DebConf24 dates announced press@debian.org
September 18th, 2023           https://www.debian.org/News/2023/20230918

Yesterday, Sunday 17 September 2023, the annual Debian Developers and
Contributors Conference came to a close.

Over 474 attendees representing 35 countries from around the world came
together for a combined 89 events made up of Talks, Discussons, Birds of
a Feather (BoF) gatherings, workshops, and activities in support of
furthering our distribution, learning from our mentors and peers,
building our community, and having a bit of fun.

The conference was preceded by the annual DebCamp [1] hacking session
held September 3d through September 9th where Debian Developers and
Contributors convened to focus on their Individual Debian related
projects or work in team sprints geared toward in-person collaboration
in developing Debian. In particular this year Sprints took place to
advance development in Mobian/Debian, Reproducible Builds, and Python in
Debian. This year also featured a BootCamp that was held for newcomers
staged by a team of dedicated mentors who shared hands-on experience in
Debian and offered a deeper understanding of how to work in and
contribute to the community.

    1: https://wiki.debian.org/DebCamp

The actual Debian Developers Conference started on Sunday 10, September
2023. In addition to the traditional 'Bits from the DPL' talk, the
continuous key-signing party, lightning talks and the announcement of
next year's DebConf24, there were several update sessions shared by
internal projects and teams. Many of the hosted discussion sessions were
presented by our technical teams who highlighted the work and focus of
the Long Term Support (LTS), Android tools, Debian Derivatives, Debian
Installer, Debian Image, and the Debian Science teams. The Python, Perl,
and Ruby programming language teams also shared updates on their work
and efforts. Two of the larger local Debian communities, Debian Brasil
and Debian India shared how their respective collaborations in Debian
moved the project forward and how they attracted new members and
opportunities both in Debian, F/OSS, and the sciences with their HowTos
of demonstrated community engagement.

The schedule [2] was updated each day with planned and ad-hoc activities
introduced by attendees over the course of the conference. Several
activities that were unable to be held in past years due to the Global
COVID-19 Pandemic were celebrated as they returned to the conference's
schedule: a job fair, the open-mic and poetry night, the traditional
Cheese and Wine party, the group photos and the Day Trips.

    2: https://debconf23.debconf.org/schedule/

For those who were not able to attend, most of the talks and sessions
were videoed for live room streams with the recorded videos to be made
available later through the Debian meetings archive website [3]. Almost
all of the sessions facilitated remote participation via IRC messaging
apps or online collaborative text documents which allowed remote
attendees to 'be in the room' to ask questions or share comments with
the speaker or assembled audience.

    3: https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2023/DebConf23/

DebConf23 saw over 4.3 TiB of data streamed, 55 hours of scheduled
talks, 23 network access points, 11 network switches, 75 kg of equipment
imported, 400 meters of gaffer tape used, 1,463 viewed streaming hours,
461 T-shirts, 35 country Geoip viewers, 5 day trips, and an average of
169 meals planned per day. All of these events, activies, conversations,
and streams coupled with our love, interest, and participation in Debian
annd F/OSS certainly made this conference an overall success both here
in Kochi, India and On-line around the world.

The DebConf23 website [4] will remain active for archival purposes and
will continue to offer links to the presentations and videos of talks
and events.

    4: https://debconf23.debconf.org/

Next year, DebConf24 [5] will be held in Haifa, Israel. As tradition
follows before the next DebConf the local organizers in Israel will
start the conference activites with DebCamp with particular focus on
individual and team work towards improving the distribution.

    5: https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/24

DebConf is committed to a safe and welcome environment for all
participants. See the web page about the Code of Conduct in DebConf23
website [6] for more details on this.

    6: https://debconf23.debconf.org/about/coc/

Debian thanks the commitment of numerous sponsors [7] to support
DebConf23, particularly our Platinum Sponsors: Infomaniak [8],
Proxmox [9], and Siemens [10].

    7: https://debconf23.debconf.org/sponsors/
    8: https://www.infomaniak.com
    9: https://www.proxmox.com/
   10: https://www.siemens.com/

We also wish to thank our Video and Infrastructure teams, the DebConf23
and DebConf commitiees, our host nation of India, and each and every
person who helped contribute to this event and to Debian overall. Thank
you all for your work in helping Debian continue to be "The Universal
Operating System". See you next year!

About Debian
------------

The Debian Project was founded in 1993 by Ian Murdock to be a truly free
community project. Since then the project has grown to be one of the
largest and most influential open source projects. Thousands of
volunteers from all over the world work together to create and maintain
Debian software. Available in 70 languages, and supporting a huge range
of computer types, Debian calls itself the "universal operating system".

About DebConf
-------------

DebConf is the Debian Project's developer conference. In addition to a
full schedule of technical, social and policy talks, DebConf provides an
opportunity for developers, contributors and other interested people to
meet in person and work together more closely. It has taken place
annually since 2000 in locations as varied as Scotland, Argentina, and
Bosnia and Herzegovina. More information about DebConf is available from
https://debconf.org [11].

   11: https://debconf.org/

About Infomaniak
----------------

Infomaniak [12] is a key player in the European cloud market and the
leading developer of Web technologies in Switzerland. It aims to be an
independent European alternative to the web giants and is committed to
an ethical and sustainable Web that respects privacy and creates local
jobs. Infomaniak develops cloud solutions (IaaS, PaaS, VPS),
productivity tools for online collaboration and video and radio
streaming services.

   12: https://www.infomaniak.com

About Proxmox
-------------

Proxmox [13] develops powerful, yet easy-to-use open-source server
software. The product portfolio from Proxmox, including server
virtualization, backup, and email security, helps companies of any size,
sector, or industry to simplify their IT infrastructures. The Proxmox
solutions are based on the great Debian platform, and we are happy that
we can give back to the community by sponsoring DebConf23.

   13: https://www.proxmox.com/

About Siemens
-------------

Siemens [14] is technology company focused on industry, infrastructure
and transport. From resource-efficient factories, resilient supply
chains, smarter buildings and grids, to cleaner and more comfortable
transportation, and advanced healthcare, the company creates technology
with purpose adding real value for customers. By combining the real and
the digital worlds, Siemens empowers its customers to transform their
industries and markets, helping them to enhance the everyday of billions
of people.

   14: https://www.siemens.com/

Contact Information

For further information, please visit the DebConf23 web page at
https://debconf23.debconf.org/ or send mail to <press@debian.org>.